Teknoloji Haberleri internet Haberleri Web Güvenliği Teknoloji Yazılım Bilim Teqnoloji
LDCs & SIDS sounds alarm over COP21

Video guest: Josephine Mwangi

August 2018
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2



Follow the CTA Brussels Daily


twitter logo


facebook logo cta

Wednesday, 17 June 2015

LDCs & SIDS sounds alarm over COP21

At the UN, the world’s least-developed countries (LDCs) have publically stated that the richer nations have failed to provide essential financial support for a strong new global climate treaty. Tosi Mpanu-Mpanu, from the Democratic Republic of Congo and chairman of the LDC group (which comprises of 48 countries) said, “The [UN] process is flawed by a complete lack of trust and confidence between rich and poor countries (…). Every year there is a watering down of the commitments. (…) Twenty countries contribute 80% of emissions, the rest 20%. Yet we in Africa are being asked to cut emissions. (…) Give us finance, technology.” Amjad Abdulla of the Maldives, chief negotiator for the Alliance of Small Island States (39 countries) underlined, “our target is still to negotiate to hold temperatures to a 1.5C rise. But achieving it is going to be difficult and may require dramatic efforts by humanity.” The three vital issues on the table include: i) whether rich countries should compensate poor ones for the loss and damage by extreme weather exacerbated by climate change; ii) the extent of the overall emission cuts; and iii) how countries should share the burden of the cuts.


Source: theguardian.com